After a brief hiatus, the boys are back with another edition of ‘Roll On’, the version of the podcast where we ramble on matters of interest across culture, sports, art, politics, self-betterment, and more.
This might be the most Roll On Roll On of all Roll Ons. A classic “old school” Roll On, if we’ve even been doing this long enough to earn that description, we cover headlines and controversies from the world of endurance, discuss abortion rights in America and the Supreme Court’s rightward shift, crack wise and round things out with answers to questions posed on our voicemail.
As always, my co-host is Mr. Adam Skolnick, an activist, veteran journalist, and David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me co-author. Adam writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is also the author of One Breath and still uses the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
“To be successful you have to work hard—but ultimately, success means avoiding burnout, and designing a life that aligns with your values.”
– RICH ROLL
Specific topics discussed in today’s episode include:
- Rich’s recent adventures in Colorado (and getting COVID—again);
- how Jim Thorpe was finally restored as sole winner of 1912 Olympics;
- Kaitlin Armstrong’s capture in Costa Rica;
- Francois D’Haene, Kilian Jornet & Courtney Dauwalter’s impressive Hardrock 100 results;
- wins & controversies from the Badwater 135;
- the importance of the Webb Telescope images;
- women’s healthcare rights and the future of abortion in America; and
- why everyone should watch ‘The Bear’
In addition, we answer the following listener questions:
- Is an unbalanced life centered on work a rite of passage when it comes to success?
- How do you embody gratitude?
- What books changed your life?
Thank you to Anna Grace from Charlottesville, Virginia, Dan from Silver Spring, and Kyle from Massachusetts for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change II'. To learn more & reserve your copy, click the button below.
Athletic Greens: 75 whole food sourced ingredients designed to optimize 5 key areas of health, AG1 is the delicious daily habit that sets you up for a healthy future. I take the packets everywhere I go. Invest in your health without compromise! Go to: athleticgreens.com/richroll to get a FREE year supply of Vitamin D AND 5 free travel packs of AG1 with your first purchase.
Levels: Making continuous glucose monitoring mainstream for the first time ever. Learn more about your metabolic health with personalized insights & biometric data. Whether you’re tuning your diet, optimizing your exercise, or just trying to stay healthy, monitoring your glucose with Levels can help. Learn more at levels.link/RICHROLL
ROKA: Cutting-edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable frames. Visit roka.com and enter code RichRoll for 20% off .
BetterHelp: The world’s largest therapy service, 100% online. Professional, licensed, and vetted therapists who you can trust. Send a message to your counselor anytime—you’ll get timely and thoughtful responses, plus schedule weekly video or phone sessions. Listeners get 10% off their first month by visiting BetterHelp.com/richroll .
Therabody: With an OLED screen, a personalized Theragun app, and the quiet and power you need, there is no substitute for the Theragun Gen 4, starting at only $199. Try it for thirty days and experience the percussive therapy device that’s unlike anything you’ve ever felt at Therabody.com/richroll
InsideTracker: Created by leading scientists in biometrics, InsideTracker analyzes your blood, DNA, and fitness data to identify where you’re optimized and where you’re not, giving you personalized guidance on the right exercise, nutrition, and supplementation for your body. For a limited time, you can get 20% off the entire InsideTracker store at insidetracker.com/RichRoll .
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Rich Roll Podcast: Twitter | Instagram
- Voicing Change II: http://richroll.com/books
- Book: Finding Ultra
- Rich Roll: Newsletter
- The Malibu Artist: The Killing of Several Bull Sharks Overshadows Florida’s Beautiful Coast
- The Tyee: Get Ready for the Forever Plague
- Book: Blindness (novel)
- Nature Medicine: A multisystem, cardio-renal investigation of post-COVID-19 illness
- Scientific American: Even Mild COVID Can Increase the Risk of Heart Problems
- New York Times: Jim Thorpe Is Restored as Sole Winner of 1912 Olympic Gold Medals
- New York Times: British Runner Mo Farah Says He Was Trafficked as a Child
- New York Times: How Mo Farah Outran His Sad Beginnings
- Boston Globe: Aliases, a plastic surgery receipt, and six weeks on the run: How suspect in Vt. cyclist slaying got caught in Costa Rica
- Bicycling: How Kaitlin Armstrong Was Finally Caught
- CNN: After 43 days on the run, the woman accused of killing an elite cyclist was captured in Costa Rica
- USA Today: ‘This is my jam’: Michael Wardian, 48, runs across the US in Forrest Gump-style feat
- Runner’s World: A Historic Hardrock 100: Course Records Shattered by Kilian Jornet and Courtney Dauwalter
- Trail Running: Yoshihiko Ishikawa wins Badwater 135 for the 2nd time
- Marathon Investigation: Ashley Paulson Sets Course Record at Badwater – Many are Skeptical
- Instagram: @badwaterhq
- NBC News: What the reactions to Clarence Thomas post-Roe reveal about white liberals
- The Ezra Klein Show: A Guide To The Supreme Court’s Rightward Shift
- Plain English: Abortion pills are a gamechanger, plus our next big culture war
- Politico: The Religious Right and the Abortion Myth
- NASA: Webb Telescope’s First Images of Unseen Universe
- New York Times: Gawking in Awe at the Universe, Together
- FX: The Bear
- Book: Alcoholics Anonymous
- Book: The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles
- Book: The Artist’s Way
- Book: Autobiography of a Yogi
- Book: Hua Hu Ching: The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; with additional audio engineering by Cale Curtis and additional music by Moby ; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; the copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure : Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.